On July 15, the CDC facilitated a group discussion with local outdoor event organizers, business development organizations, and our tourism partners to explore the potential development of an Event Park for Lac du Bonnet. The presentation provided is available online: Lac du Bonnet Event Park Planning Committee.
The CDC’s enthusiasm for this project was sparked by the growing number of outdoor events held in the community every year, the need for outdoor facilities to host more events, and a visit to a small town in the Yukon called Carcross.
The Farmer’s Market, Fire & Water, the Chamber of Commerce, the Winnipeg River Arts Council, the Lac du Bonnet Ice Fishing Derby, the Lac du Bonnet Lions, Winnipeg River Car Club, Eastman Tourism, Community Futures Winnipeg River, and Lee River Snow Riders were present for discussions and presented many great ideas and things to consider.
Entering what we call the Planning to Plan Stage, the committee set out to collect more information from outdoor event organizers.
The vision for the Lac du Bonnet Community Event Park was to build a place that focused on the outdoor events currently being held in the community, including:
- A covered structure to host the Farmer’s Market Vendors and support Night Markets
- A permanent, covered stage for Fire & Water Music Festival and support outdoors events hosted by the Winnipeg River Arts Council
- An extended operating area for the Lac du Bonnet Lions Canada Day Celebrations
- Operating grounds to allow for events of all sizes
- Flexibility for multiple uses and additions with pop-up shelters, tents, and Pod Buildings